With September arriving tomorrow I am welcoming fall festivities and fun.
(Despite the fact that fall weather is pretty much non-existent in southern California!)
This is what I have planned so far:
picking our own apples and making our own caramel for dipping, buying apples from the store and making our own caramel for dipping, or buying the done deal from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory....one way or another the caramel apples will happen :)
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
Starbucks makes the best!
Visit the Pumpkin Patch
We have a pretty good local pumpkin patch with a petting zoo, corn maze, and games.
Bake Pumpkin Cookies
Ty loves pumpkin cookies. I bought 2 large cans of pumpkin from the store this morning so that I can be ready to make these cookies at any time!
Visit to Oak Glen for apple cider
Fresh apple cider is amazing. We drink it cold or hot with lots of spices!
Visit to Idyllwild
a perfect spot for collecting acorns and pinecones for fall decorating
Visit to a local Farmer's Market
I hear Palm Springs has a pretty good one during the fall and winter months
Bagels from Panera
We spent a lot of time at Panera when we lived in Tennessee. I wish we had one closer to us now! It has become a planned destination.
Buy new boots and skinny jeans
this may be an activity that only I enjoy, but I am including it here anyway!
Make some delicious chili
this may take a few test recipes.
Watch the Nightmare Before Christmas and get ready for Halloween!
Today is an early release day for Max. After we pick him up from school we need to pick up a new pair of ballet slippers for Mia. She has outgrown her old ones! Ballet started 3 weeks ago and she has been dancing in too tight shoes. For tonight's class she will have new shoes that fit :)
Ballet class goes from 4:30-5:15. It doesn't leave me a lot of prep time to make dinner afterward. Crock pot dinners are great and I am not opposed to pizza but tonight I have plans for a great make a head dinner!
The gnocchi can be made ahead of time and then thrown into the freezer for later. I like to serve it with a brown butter and sage sauce and then top the whole thing off with parmesan cheese. Serve it with a salad from a bag and dinner is super simple.
That's my plan for tonight anyway!
I may end up throwing together some dessert.
I haven't made brownies in a while and these Salty fudge Brownies from une gamine dans la quisine look pretty awesome!
1. I am stocking the fridge and pantry today. I spent the morning chopping broccoli and washing berries. Later I am going to be baking up a big batch of THESE mini muffins for the kid's breakfasts and lunches.
2. My parents came over for dinner last night. We enjoyed THIS cake for dessert. The frosting was amazing!
3. My laundry room is filled with items that need to make there way to D.I. Ty will be home tomorrow and I am hoping we can make a trip out that way. I love getting rid of things :)
4. I am signing Max up to take karate lessons. He has been wanting to give it a try for a long time. Classes start next month.
5. For the past few weeks I have been adjusting to school schedules and potty training Zack. There has not been much creativity going on at home and I am ready to get back to some of the fun.
We booked a night at Bogart Park in Cherry Valley.
We did a little hiking and exploring.
There was some sword fighting.
I wanted to get a nice picture of our little campsite.
The kids were going to party in the big tent and Ty and I were going to cuddle in the smaller one.
I planned a yummy dinner. We had curly dogs. We wrapped hot dogs in rhodes roll dough and roasted the whole thing over our campfire. They were a hit.
After dinner we played some games and watched a group of people ride by on their horses. We made our s'mores as the sun was setting.
We set the kids up in the kid tent with a movie. Ty and I sat up by the campfire with Zoey.
Then there was a bear. A large bear that wandered into camp. I was terrified. I wanted to get all of the kids in the car and drive away. Just as I was about to begin the exodus a car drove by and the headlights scared the bear away. Then Mia came out of her tent and threw up.
Then I decided to come home with the girls!
Zack had already fallen asleep and Max wanted to stay. Ty seemed unmoved by the bear incident so he stayed behind with the boys. I gave it a good try and I really enjoyed the whole evening in the wilderness with a fun campfire dinner, but I think the overnight part is overrated. I am going to sleep in my house where there are no bears.
1. The new school year is going great! Mia is loving kindergarten. She walks by herself to class. Her favorite snack to bring to school are peanut butter crackers.
2. Max loves school. He loves his friends. He is amazing too! (Max would eat cake and ice cream all day if I let him, but his school lunch includes his favorite bagel sandwich with ham and cheese!)
3. This week our little kindergarten car-pool began. There are 4 of us moms from church that have kids in kindergarten at the same school. We are each taking one week out of each month to pick up the kids from school. Next week is my week.
4. Zackary seems to be loving his time at home without the older kids. I think this is because he can freely play with their toys :)
5. Zoey is all cuddles. She loves her mommy. I love being her mommy :)
6. Ty and I went to Target yesterday and they were having a sale on t-shirts and camis for $5 a piece. I bought lots. It was fun.
7. Did you know that Trader Joe's chocolate chips are supplied by Ghiradelli??? No wonder I love them! They are cheaper than buying the Ghiradelli brand from the store as well....extra bonus ;)
1. I had a dentist appointment this morning to get 3 cavities filled. It was my first experience with cavities, fillings, etc...My mouth is completely numb.
2. We are trying to get Zack out of diapers. He has proven much more difficult than his older siblings.
3. Max and Mia want to go see the new Diary of a Whimpy Kid movie. I am really not up for it right now. (Numb mouth and all...) I am hoping Ty will be in the mood to take them later!
4. Mia started her new year of dance lessons yesterday. She is taking Primary Ballet this time around. She didn't want to mess around with tap shoes anymore. Mia is a strictly ballet slipper kind of girl!
5. I fed Max and Ty apple pie with milk for lunch. They were hungry as soon as I walked in the door from my appointment. Hopefully the numbness wears off soon or I may feed everyone pie for dinner as well.
My parents sold their house and moved out before their new home was ready to be moved into. They are living in out of suitcases. They are staying with friends and occasionally with us! My brother was supposed to move into a new house with a group of his friends early last week, but the financing has not gone through and he is still waiting for the keys! He has been spending a lot of his days and his nights at our house while he waits to move in.
My kids are loving all of the special family time we are having. I am enjoying having a reason to cook a nice meal on nights that Ty works late.
It is working out well for us, but I know my parents and my brother are ready to be in their own homes.
It was not too long ago that Ty and I were in the same homeless situation! When Ty graduated from anesthesia school we were out of money and we had no where to live! We stayed with my parents while Ty started working and as we house hunted. It was so wonderful to find a place and make it our own. It was pretty great to start spending our own money too!
My poor family! I hope everything goes through soon.
Until then....my washer and dryer are here for them :)
(Too bad Ty has to work all day today and tomorrow before he finally gets a break on Sunday!)
2. My parents are coming for dinner tonight so the kids and I are going to have a fun Friday evening anyway.
3. Zoey is having some tummy troubles and she doesn't want to eat anything aside from nursing. I hope she feels better soon. (For her sake and mine!)
4. I am taking the kids shoe shopping today. Everyone needs school shoes and Zackary only has sandals that fit him so new shoes it is :)
5. Only one full week of summer vacation left before school starts on the 15th! I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. I am excited for the kids to start a new school year, but I am sad to say goodbye to our summer. So glad we still have that one week left to enjoy!