Sunday, October 14, 2012

Keeping the Sabbath....


Sunday is the day of the week that we set aside as our Sabbath. We attend our church meetings and we try to keep the day special by doing things a bit differently than we do on the other days of the week. Today Ty was on call so we were taking separate cars to church; just in case he ended up at work. Ty helped me get the kids into my car and I turned the key to start the engine.....and nothing. We were able to start the car with a jump and make it to church without a hitch. Sadly after church ended, the car refused to start again. We jumped it once more and came home. I decided pretty quickly that Ty would need to go out and buy a new battery for the car. I need my car to drive the kids everywhere all day long every day. Ty will be leaving tomorrow morning for work before 6 and there will be no opportunity to remedy the situation until he comes home! Surely we needed to get the battery today. Ty and I both felt like this was a very "Ox in the mire" like situation and while we try not to go to the store on Sundays as part of our Sabbath observance we were willing to make an exception. I was in the kitchen working on dinner and I told Max that Ty was going to go get a battery for the car. He looked at me with a surprised expression and said, "but it's Sunday." I explained that, yes it was Sunday, but I really needed my car to work in the morning so that I could take he and Mia to school. Max said that he could go with the neighbors to school. Max really does not like to drive with the neighbors to school. They have offered many times, but I take him because he is not comfortable with it. I asked him if he was really okay going to school with the neighbors so that we could avoid going to the store on a Sunday and he said that he was. I was so impressed with his willingness to make a sacrifice so that we could keep the Sabbath Day. He was so ready to do what needed to be done that I quickly decided to put the battery off until tomorrow. I made some phone calls and organized carpools to and from school for the kids. Everyone was willing and able to help us.
I am so impressed at the simple faith of my children and the wonderful example they are to me.
I am thankful that Max was willing to do the right thing and help me to do the right thing as well!

1 comment:

Jessica Newman said...

What a good boy! I love this story!