Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Happiness

This is one of my favorites:

2 Nephi 5:27

"And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness."

How do you get happy? 
I often write about the little things that bring me joy in my daily life. I talk about my family and chocolate and exciting things that are happening. All of this is great, but really where does happiness come from?

For me it comes from within. If I feel myself falling I can reach inside and pull myself back up again. I rely alot on my Heavenly Father and His tender mercies. When life seems stressful and overwhelming nothing brings me back quite like the whisperings of the spirit reminding me of those eternal truths that keep me focused. 
In our world today it seems that many struggle with happiness. It is a real problem  and can be an almost daily struggle for some. I also recognize that happiness is attainable in this life for everyone. I think the "manner of happiness" spoken of in this verse can be attained with diligence and work. Just like any other virtue or talent worth obtaining it takes practice. How do you practice being happy?
Smile. A simple smile will lift your mood and the mood of others around you. One thing I have noticed as I have become a wife and mother is how greatly my own mood affects the moods and feelings of the entire household. 
Find what works for you. I am happiest when I am striving to obey the commandments and follow the Savior. I feel less stressed when I do my scripture study and say my prayers. After a temple trip with my husband I feel more relaxed about our marriage. Each Sunday when I take the sacrament I feel ready to begin a new week. 
Aside from the spiritual our happiness can depend a great deal on the physical. I am happiest when I make time for exercise and physical activity. I think that exercise builds confidence and helps to melt away stress.
It is important to recognize each persons individuality and find what makes your own self happiest. I love cooking and creating new recipes. Even though most of the time I have little children hanging onto my legs while I cook it still makes me happy to create in the kitchen.
Treat yourself. I love magazines. I like to take health magazines with me to the gym for inspiration. I like to clip recipes out of cooking magazines and I like to read articles out of everything else. Magazines are an expensive habit. The local library has a bookstore where they sell donated books and magazines. The magazines are .25 cents a piece. I like to make a special trip on Saturdays and stock up for the week. I look forward to it! I love chocolate. I have always said that I eat it medicinally. I know it makes me happy and no diet is ever going to take it away from me :)

I am not meaning to discourage those who are struggling or feeling low. I just want to spread a little joy and help you think about how you can be a little bit happier today.

No comments: