Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Water Fun and Birthday Week Continues

When it gets really hot and muggy and I need to occupy Max and Mia for a while I fill up a big pot with cold water and let them have at it. I usually have to keep a pitcher close by for refills, but the kids love it. It keeps them busy for as long as I will keep filling up the pot.
Today I decided to make myself a chocolate birthday cake. I know my birthday is not until Sunday, but this way I can enjoy a piece every day until then.

Chocolate Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups warm water

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour cake pans. (2 8x8 or 1 9x13)
2. Mix together the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients. (all in one bowl, totally easy!)
3. Bake 30-35 minutes.
4. Allow to cool and then frost with some fabulous frosting or ganache.

This is a very dense and moist chocolate cake. 1 piece was enough for myself and I am the chocolate queen so chocolate haters be warned.

All of my chocolate postings seem kind of ridiculous because I did get a treadmill as my official birthday gift. Oh well.... Balance in all things.

1 comment:

deckhandmoo's sing-a-long blog said...

Oh, if only I could mail you a cake and not worry about it getting destroyed. I would totally make you a cake.